The Scribner Covered Bridge stands in a rural area of eastern Johnson, carrying Rocky Road across the Gihon River between Vermont Route 100C and Sinclair Road. It is a single-span queen post truss, 48 feet (15 m) long and 17.5 feet (5.3 m) wide, with a roadway width of 13.5 feet (4.1 m) (one lane). It is covered by a gabled metal roof, and its exterior is clad in vertical board siding, which extends around to the insides of the portals. On the sides, the siding ends short of the roof, leaving an open strip. The bridge rests on concrete abutments that date to 1960. The trusses are unusually short and lack internal bracing, and their corner joints have been reinforced with metal plates.
The Meeting House was built in 1840 for a Methodist congregation in Charlotte, Vermont. The building’s triangular pediment is distinctive of the Greek Revival style, and the plainness of its exterior is typical of New England Protestant architecture. Inside, however, are an elaborately carved working organ and fascinating trompe l’oeil (“fool-the-eye”) murals.
The building became the home for an amateur theatrical group in 1899 and then was used as a library after 1902. After a heavy windstorm damaged the building, it was moved to the Museum in 1952 for preservation.
Before the insane heatwave arrives and makes me miserable. Maybe the heat will take care of the black flies and mosquitoes.
The Bartonsville Covered Bridge is a wooden covered bridge in the village of Bartonsville, in Rockingham, Vermont, United States. The bridge is a lattice truss style with a 151-foot span, carrying Lower Bartonsville Road over the Williams River.
The library collection and the opera stage are located in Stanstead, but the main entrance and most opera seats are located in Derby Line. Because of this, the Haskell is sometimes called “the only library in the U.S.A. with no books” and “the only opera house in the U.S.A. with no stage”. There is no entrance from Canada, however there is an emergency exit on the Canadian side of the building. All patrons and visitors must use the US entrance to access the building. Patrons from Canada are permitted to enter the US door without needing to report to customs, providing they return to Canada immediately upon leaving the building.